The City of Seminole is located in Pinellas County, Florida. With a population of 17,754
residents and totaling 5.6 square miles, Seminole is the youngest city out of the 24
municipalities in Pinellas County.
Seminole and its surrounding areas were described in history references as early as 1528. The
invasion of the peninsular land, known as Pinellas County, was made by the Spanish who came
in search of gold.
In 1879, Albert and Dell Meares and their ten children homestead what is now known as
Seminole City Park. Their home served as the local post office and families would gather to
trade community news while waiting for the mail to come from Clearwater via horse and cart.
The lake in Seminole City Park is known as Meares Lake.
In 1959, Seminole’s first grocery store A&P (aka: Atlantic & Pacific) was built by Jesse Johnson
(one of the founders of the City of Seminole) located what is now known as the Treasure Island
Fun Center at 7770 Seminole. Blvd.
The small cemetery on 102nd Avenue, surrounded by a metal fence is known as the Lone Pilgrim
Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery. Some of our earliest pioneers who helped form our
community are buried there.
The first portion of Seminole Mall was constructed in 1965 and the remaining was added in
At 5:00 p.m. on November 15, 1970, the City of Seminole became a city. Eight hundred ninetyfive
pre-registered citizens attended a pre-town meeting which was held at the Seminole Mall;
823 voted for incorporation and 72 against. The newly incorporated City of Seminole had a
population of 2700.
The original Seminole Community Library was opened by the Seminole Ridge Business &
Professional Women’s Club on July 12, 1960 with a total of 3,500 books. It was first housed in a
small cottage at Park & Seminole Blvds. donated by Home Federal Savings and Loan.
In June 1964, operation of the library was turned over to the Seminole Ridge Library
Association. In November 1965, the library moved to an adjacent facility, a former motor court
motel, again provided by Home Federal Savings and Loan. The collection continued to grow
and due to lack of space, books were even stored in the bath tub. It was operated by the
volunteers of the Seminole Ridge Library Association until 1989 when it was turned over to the
City of Seminole.
For more information on the City of Seminole please click on the link:
City of Seminole
- Belleair Bluffs
- Clearwater Beach
- Indian Rocks Beach/Indian Shores
- Sand Key
- Belleair Beach/Belleair Shores
- Gulfport/St. Petersburg
- Madeira Beach
- Palm Harbor
- Pass A Grille
- Redington Beach/Redington Shores
- Saint Petersburg
- St. Pete Beach
- Tierra Verde
- Treasure Island